BRANCH WORKSHOP in Person and Online
In person workshop includes buffet lunch. For online attendees—the Zoom link will be sent to you after you complete the registration process.
October 9, 2021
8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
In-person check-in begins at 8:30 a.m. The workshop begins at 9:00 a.m.
The emotional landscape of fiction is the greatest challenge for writers, yet it is perhaps the most important element because readers read to care. And they can’t care about characters unless writers effectively, evocatively, and masterfully show emotion in their characters.
In this workshop, you’ll be given tools to show emotions in your characters. You’ll be given techniques to help spark emotional response in your readers.
What you will learn:
- The 3 key ways to show emotion in your characters and which one is the most powerful
- What the action-reaction cycle is all about, and why you must understand it to be an emotional master
- How to recognize complex emotion and transfer that onto the page
- What microtension is and why it’s essential for emotional mastery
Susanne Lakin is an award-winning author and blogger at Live Write Thrive (www.livewritethrive.com). She has twenty novels and ten writing crafts books published and works full-time as a copyeditor and writing coach. In addition to teaching and speaking at workshops, she offers online courses for writers and editors at cslakin.teachable.com. Lakin is also the fiction track coordinator of the San Francisco Writers’ Conference and facilitates intensive online critique groups for successful commercial fiction writing. Check out her blogs and websites here: Live Write Thrive, The Self Publisher, and Critique My Manuscript.
- 8:30 – 9:00 – Check In
- 9:00 – 12:00 – Workshop
- 12:00 – 1:00 – Lunch
New For Mt. Diablo Members!
Guest Voucher Program
Give a friend $10.00 off a General Meeting or Workshop (Zoom or in-Person).
- Invite a guest who has never attended Mt. Diablo meeting
- Request a voucher for your guest for $10.00 off a Zoom meeting or workshop.
- We will email your guest a voucher number and link to register for the meeting. We’ll also notify you that we’ve done this.
- Your guest registers for the meeting, enters the voucher number, and receives a $10.00 discount.
Meeting Cost In Person (includes lunch): $45 CWC Members (any branch) and $55 Guests
Meeting Cost Online (Zoom): $35 CWC Members and $45 Guests
PayPal or Credit/Debit Card Only
Deadline to Register for In-Person Attendance
October 6, 2021, 12:00 p.m.
The venue needs an estimated headcount by this time. However, your reservation is accepted through Friday at 8: p.m.
Walk-ins are welcome.
Fill out the form below.
You will be taken to a Paypal page after you click SUBMIT below. If you are paying by credit card, look for the “pay with credit or debit card” line on the Paypal page. You do not need a Paypal account.
By registering for this meeting, you acknowledge that the meeting may be recorded. Your consent is implied when you register.
Questions? Email Marlene Dotterer at email@example.com.