VIRTUAL BRANCH MEETING on Zoom
The link to join on Zoom will be sent to you after you register (below)
September 11, 2021
9:30 a.m. – 12:15 p.m.
Researching your Novel:
Even when you are writing fiction, your setting, clothing, dialect, and other details matter. But finding the information can be a challenge. Whether you are infusing the political climate of your protagonist’s region, describing the setting of decades or centuries that have long past, capturing the slang language, or need to understand legal or police procedures, readers expect the novel to be grounded in reality.
Alan Brennert will cover the many techniques he has used to ensure his award-winning historical fiction novels conform with the historic records, including:
- Using archives and other resources to recreate the past
- Ferreting out legal matters and other facts surrounding infamous cases
- People resources: Interviewing subject matter experts
- How to resolve conflicting historical accounts
Alan Brennert is the author of multiple historical novels, including his new novel Daughter of Moloka’i, Palisades Park, Honolulu (chosen one of the best books of 2009 by The Washington Post), and Moloka’i, which won the 2006 Bookies Award, sponsored by the Contra Costa Library, for the Book Club Book of the Year (and has sold over 600,000 copies since publication). It was also a 2012 One Book, One San Diego selection. He has developed screenplays for major studios, as well as miniseries, pilots, and television movies. He won an Emmy Award and a People’s Choice Award for his work as a writer-producer on the television series L.A. Law, and his short story “Ma Qui” was honored with a Nebula Award.
- 9:30 – 10:00 – Sign In and Breakout Rooms
- 10:00 – 11:00 – Writers Table
- 11:00 – 11:15 – Business Meeting
- 11:15 – 12:15 – Speaker
Writers Table: Al Garrotto
Action Verbs: Add Zest to Your Writing
New For Mt. Diablo Members!
Guest Voucher Program
Give a friend $10.00 off a Zoom General Meeting or Workshop.
- Invite a guest who has never attended Mt. Diablo meeting
- Request a voucher for your guest for $10.00 off a Zoom meeting or workshop.
- We will email your guest a voucher number and link to register for the meeting. We’ll also notify you that we’ve done this.
- Your guest registers for the meeting and receives the link to join on Zoom.
Meeting Cost: $5 CWC Members (any branch) and $10 Guests
PayPal or Credit/Debit Card Only
Fill out the form below.
You will be taken to a Paypal page after you click SUBMIT below. If you are paying by credit card, look for the “pay with credit or debit card” line on the Paypal page. You do not need a Paypal account.
After you register you will receive an email confirming your registration. The email will contain your link to join the meeting.
By registering for this meeting, you acknowledge that the meeting may be recorded. Your consent is implied when you register.
Questions? Email Marlene Dotterer at email@example.com.
Reservation for Zoom General Meeting - PayPal or Credit Card
"*" indicates required fields